Preparing for your Cake Smash Session
Updated: Sep 7
1. Introduce cake before your session, place a full cake in front of them for a practice run. Also helps to rule out any issues with food (allergies/upset stomach from too much sugar).
2. If they don't like to get messy they won't get messy with the cake. Let them have some messy sensory play before the session, eating yogurt with their hands. Playing with taste safe paint.
3. If your little one doesn't like to touch food please bring a wooden spoon, or bring one just in case.
4. It's also a great idea to bring something they do like to stick in the back of the cake if they're not interested in the cake.
5. Most little ones will cry, bring things that make them happy or bring them comfort.
6. If you're doing the full smash with a bath please bring a towel.
7. Parents will get messy so be prepared with extra clothes for everyone. 8. This cake will be one of the most photographed cake's you ever buy and a professional looking one makes all the difference which is why I highly recommend Mitchel's Cake and Dessert Co. they always do a fabulous job with simple or more themed cakes. I also highly recommend KIND Bakehouse, they make beautiful simple design cakes.
9. I have a couple cake stand options, you're welcome to bring your own as well. Just keep in mind the size of the cake board and the cake stand, go as small a board as you can, I recommend a 4-6inch cake, 2 - 3 layers.
Please remember that cake smash sessions are about capturing the moment and your little one as they are, they most likely will not smile, there is an 80% chance they will cry, we want to make them as comfortable as possible, I find they do best with relaxed/calm parents and as few people as possible with no outfit changes. I like to have time to play with baby and get them use to me.